Wicked History - CIXI: Evil Empress of China?
This biography profiles the life of Empress Dowager Cixi, who ruled over China from 1861 through 1908. About the Wicked History Series: From Vlad the Impaler to Grigory Rasputin, to Ivan the Terrible, some of the most heinous moments in history are exposed in these highly illustrated biographies of some of the most villainous tyrants who walked the earth. A Wicked History will be the definitive biography series for middle and high school students on the evil individuals who twisted the course of history. The design is sophisticated to attract middle-school and high-school readers, yet the reading level is on target and readily accessible to readers of all levels.
- Opening quote by or about the featured villain/villainess
- Historical map, annotated with key locations from person's life
- A Wicked Web featuring allies and enemies
- Historical photos and etchings
- Boxes with additional information
- Photo documentaries: six to eight pages of photos and captions telling the person's life
- Timeline, glossary, additional sources
- Engaging narrative nonfiction written at a very accessible reading level
Number of Pages: 128
Lexile Level: 880L
Publisher: Scholastic US